Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Tom Smith compares having a child out of wedlock to rape

Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest banner Want the scoop on hot races around the country? Get the digest emailed to you each weekday morning. Sign up here. Leading Off:

' PA-Sen: Ruh-roh. PoliticsPA has the transcript of Republican Senate nominee Tom Smith's talk with reporters at a Monday luncheon at the Pennsylvania Press Club:

Mark Scolforo, Associated Press: How would you tell a daughter or a granddaughter who, God forbid, would be the victim of a rape, to keep the child against her own will? Do you have a way to explain that?

Smith: I lived something similar to that with my own family. She chose life, and I commend her for that. She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn't have to.. she chose they way I thought. No don't get me wrong, it wasn't rape.

Scolforo: Similar how?

Smith: Uh, having a baby out of wedlock.

Scolforo: That's similar to rape?

Smith: No, no, no, but' put yourself in a father's situation, yes. It is similar. But, back to the original, I'm pro-life, period.

And just when the GOP thought it might finally be getting past Todd Akin....


No comments:

Post a Comment