Thursday, May 24, 2012

Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Mike Coffman struggles to find a cure for acute birtheritis

Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest banner Want the scoop on hot races around the country? Get the digest emailed to you each weekday morning. Sign up here. Leading Off:

' CO-06: It's extremely rare that I encourage you to watch a TV news report, but this one is a must-see. After getting into a world of trouble for going full birther at a fundraiser earlier this month, the normally voluble Mike Coffman has retreated underground, refusing to talk to the press while back in his district during a congressional recess. But 9News, the station which first broke the story, caught up with the GOP freshman in public and put him to the question. It wasn't pretty:

If for some reason you can't watch the video, here's a transcript of the key portion with reporter Kyle Clark:
KYLE CLARK: I've been trying to call your staff. They won't return my phone calls. Let me ask you, after your comments about the President, do you feel voters are owed a better explanation than just, I misspoke?

REP. COFFMAN: I think that... Umm... I stand by my statement that I misspoke and I apologize.

KYLE CLARK: OK. And who were you apologizing to?

REP. COFFMAN: You know, I stand by my statement that I misspoke and I apologize.

KYLE CLARK: I apologize, we talk to you all the time, you're a very forthcoming guy. Who's telling you not to talk and to handle it like this?

REP. COFFMAN: I stand by my statement, that I wrote, that you have, and I misspoke and I apologize.

KYLE CLARK: Was it that you thought it would go over well in Elbert County where folks are very conservative and you'd never say something like that in the suburbs?

REP. COFFMAN: I stand by my statement that I misspoke and I apologize.

KYLE CLARK: Is there anything I can ask you that you'll answer differently?

REP. COFFMAN: You know, I stand by my statement that I misspoke and I apologize.

You've really got to wonder what Coffman's exit strategy is here.


No comments:

Post a Comment