Thursday, August 2, 2012

Open thread for night owls: Zen. Or not.

Open Thread for Night Owls Among the things I have learned or re-learned this week: American conservatives deem themselves the proper judges of how other countries should present themselves and their histories at the Olympic games. There is literally nothing Mitt Romney can foul up that won't result in Washington Post opinion-haver Jennifer Rubin penning a column on how wonderful Mitt Romney is and how it isn't his fault. Congressman Steve King is nuts, which is not news, but he is nuts in the kind of ways that suggest you maybe shouldn't let him anywhere near your pets or kids. The way to reduce the deficit is to cut taxes on rich people yet again, no really we promise this time, and it's because if we do it this time the prosperity unicorn will finally come poop money on us all. Eating fast-food chicken as a form of sexual protest is the most conservative effing thing I have ever heard of in my entire life, and I am very, very pissed I didn't think of it first. Has anyone done a "beer bong for Jesus" protest yet? I'm patenting that right now. (I know Chuck Grassley is currently in the middle of an effort to get people to eat more meat on Mondays because some FDA hippie said to eat less meat on Mondays, or something to that effect. That's also high up on the list of most conservative damn things I have ever heard, and seems to suggest once again that you could have half the country drinking bleach if Obama went on television to tell them they shouldn't do it.)

I have no particular point here. I know sometimes someone says "I have no particular point here" and they actually have a point, they're just trying to sneak it past you or something, but I really don't. That would be mean, and we've already all been through too much already. I'm just going to sit here, watch the Olympics, and try to determine which of these gymnastic routines are secret homages to communism. (Spoiler: all of them, as well as every swimming relay race. And we're not even going to discuss the postmodern economic symbolism present in each water polo match.)


High Impact Posts. Top Comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment