Sunday, November 25, 2012

In Sandy's wake, Thanksgiving comes to Red Hook, Brooklyn

Soaked but not sunk: Red Hook's flooding was massive and recovery will continue for months. I did not spend Thanksgiving in the loving bosom of my family. I spent mine with strangers, schlepping food through the unforgiving cobblestone streets of Red Hook, Brooklyn, to Hurricane Sandy survivors. My blisters are still smarting.

True confession upfront: It wasn't my deep and virtuous commitment to helping the less fortunate that drove me to Red Hook on that holiday morning. A week ago, Thanksgiving was barreling down on me like a lonely freight train. I'd made the decision not to travel home to Michigan, in part, because my guest-starring role as the out-of-town, perennial, bachelor uncle is growing tiresome in its 45th year. Too proud to fish my network for a plus-one invite, I faced Thursday with no plans, no company.

My singleton status weighs heaviest at holidays. Thursday, my mother implored me over the phone, "You need to get a life. You're blogging too much." Yes. She actually said that. Where would we be without the wisdom of our moms?

I too may be struggling with a touch of survivor's guilt. I was spirited out of the state to Seattle hours before Sandy struck the city and did not return until weeks later. But I did not feel lucky to have missed it. I felt ambiguous that my adopted hometown that I so love suffered devastation and I was so removed from it, physically, even emotionally at times. It is my home, after all. I returned to find my neighborhood was spared the worst. Now there is just a lone truncated tree that still lays in front of my building that reminds me of the broken lives Sandy left in her wake.

I have followed the stories of local heroism, like Matt Kraushar'aka "Medical Matt"'who has organized a swift and proactive medical response. He was on the ground long before FEMA, the Red Cross or the state or city. He is only a medical student, but his efforts have been key to treating and stabilizing more than 300 patients in Red Hook whose management of chronic health conditions was threatened by the interruption of power and services.

Occupy activists have sprung into action, transforming their protest movement into a nimble and efficient response team, improbably working alongside the municipal government with which they have had epic battles in the past.

Carlos Menchaca, NYC Speaker Quinn's liaison to the lesbian and gay community is dispatched to help.
The New York Daily News credited Menchaca with organizing 2,500 volunteers in that community by Nov. 12. Carlos Menchaca has been a powerhouse organizer since being dispatched from his staff position in New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn's office into the disaster zone. I know him professionally, and am also proud to say he's become a person I'd call friend.

The coalition effort Menchaca has been involved with, Red Hook Volunteers, served up to 1,000 hot meals a day on the ground and doing 210 homebound deliveries in the first few weeks. They oversaw over 1,500 people in the first two weekends, including large groups from the cancelled New York City marathon. Last weekend about 600 volunteers showed but they are beginning to see numbers dwindle a bit.

Carlos suggested I report to the The Miccio Center adjacent to the Red Hook Public Housing where residents lived well over two weeks without power. This is a short walking distance from my home. I know the area well.

My inclination was to go, observe, interview, report.

Upon arrival, I spot a woman who is clearly projecting that she is in charge. Her name is Alexandra Rodríguez, she is the program director of the Red Hook Senior Center. I introduce myself by name, but not affiliation. She beams a smile at me, and says, "You can go help them," gesturing at a dozen volunteers holding lists of seniors expecting food deliveries.

And I was off with a trio of fellow Brooklynites, two of whom had been recruited through a posting at their workplace, Bloomberg News, where they work as reporters. I could not have hoped for more charming, enjoyable holiday company.

Me with Rachael Mamane, John Detrixhe and Victoria Stilwell after a day's work. Continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment