Sunday, March 10, 2013

They sang, they motivated and they mobilized

Photo from the cover of Sing for Freedom: The Story of the Civil Rights Movement Through Its Songs, by  Guy and Candie Carawan and from the album, Sing For Freedom: The Story of the Civil Rights Movement Through Its Songs, Smithsonian Folkways Sing for Freedom: The Story of the Civil Rights Movement Through Its Songs, by Guy and Candie Carawan Movements for social change have always had people who, with impassioned speeches, have inspired their listeners to organize and fight for justice. But we should not forget that songs are another form of political speech and music has been a key factor in igniting and sustaining those who do battle daily to effectuate that change.

I would be remiss during Women's History Month to fail to acknowledge those sisters of song who inspired me and countless others to march on to the next confrontation with injustice.

What has me worried, however, is that from my greying perch, I have realized that many of the names and songs that I take for granted as part of the struggles for civil and human rights are being forgotten.

I was chagrined to find out in several of my courses over the last few years that names and songs that I made assumptions about (that everyone knows this stuff) drew blank looks from my students'who are in their late teens and early 20s'when I mention them, or play them in class.  

Many of my students have never heard, or heard of, Joan Baez, Nina Simone, Buffy Sainte Marie, Odetta, Mary Travers, Bernice John Reagon/Sweet Honey in the Rock, Holly Near, SNCC Freedom Singers ... and countless others.

Yes, musical genres have changed over the last few decades, but I am deeply saddened when I realize that musical anthems that are so familiar to my generation have been retired to collecting dust somewhere in the minds of aging radicals or are now simply faded echoes.  

Teaches me not to assume things, I suppose.  

Part of the problem is that the airwaves snap, crackle and hip-hop with commercial music offerings designed to get young people to dance, or consume material goods, but are rarely crafted to expose the contradictions of our world in a way that motivates change in a forward direction.  

This is not a blanket condemnation of contemporary music. There are powerful young voices making music, and young women who have much to say with their craft to inspire reflection, empowerment and change.

Join me below the fold to continue the discussion and to listen to some of the women whose voices have been an inspiration to me, and feel free to chime in with both your thoughts and auditory suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment