Monday, December 24, 2012

Idaho Republican Sen. Mike Crapo arrested for drunk driving

Mugshot of Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID) following his drunk driving arrest in Alexandria, VA on December 23, 2012 Idaho Republican Sen. Mike Crapo has been charged with drunk driving. Crapo, a Mormon who has said in interviews that he doesn't drink alcohol, was pulled over after running a red light in Alexandria, Virginia, and subsequently failed a field sobriety test. His blood alcohol level was .11 percent; Virginia's legal limit is .08 percent.
The 61-year-old lawmaker, who faces a court date Jan. 4, apologized in a statement issued hours after his arrest early Sunday.

"I am deeply sorry for the actions that resulted in this circumstance," Crapo said in the statement Sunday night. "I made a mistake for which I apologize to my family, my Idaho constituents and any others who have put their trust in me. I accept total responsibility and will deal with whatever penalty comes my way in this matter."

According to the AP, the penalties for a first-time DUI conviction are "a mandatory, minimum $250 fine and license revocation for one year."

Crapo is Idaho's senior senator, a status he attained after Larry Craig retired following his own arrest, for soliciting an undercover police officer for sex in a men's restroom. Crapo isn't likely to be the subject of as many jokes as Craig, but only one of their crimes involved potentially endangering the lives of others.

Crapo is not up for reelection until 2016, and received 71 percent of the vote in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment