Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Republican Convention recap: Day 1

Republican National Convention: The race to the bottom Delayed a day, the GOP kicked off their convention yesterday with two big themes: "We built it" and "Women's night."

It was kind of weird, those themes. First of all, because "we built it" isn't controversial. That's what Pres. Barack Obama said before his comments were spliced and diced and pieced together to say something that he didn't. So did we build it? Yup. We all did. No one succeeds by their lonesome self.

It was also weird because male speakers outnumbered the women, by a lot. But I guess Republicans were just really proud of themselves for allowing any womenfolk onto the stage. It's progress, I guess.

And nothing says "progress" and "commitment to the ladies" like scheduling Rick Santorum who, as we found out, has a bizarre hand fetish.

He loves crippled hands, hands that bring pain, tiny hands, the hand of American freedom hands, thick hands, and broken hands that just need to be cradled. I wish I was exaggerating.

I held its hand. I shook the hand of the American Dream. And it has a strong grip.
Republicans have a hard time with metaphors, which even they had to admit: I'm afraid Santorum has jumped the rhetorical shark with this hands business. One of the worst conceits ever.
' @jpodhoretz via web

Catch my recap of the rest of the evening below the fold.


No comments:

Post a Comment